Thursday, February 5, 2009

Life is in the Details - Subscribe Now!!

The above quote rings very true when I reflect on life, especially mine. For me life exists in the details and in every moment; in the little things that are actually the big things, strange as it may sound. Life is about living, it is about the here and now. It is about the waking up each morning and looking at your wife’s face, as sweet as honey, which makes you smile. It is about me wanting to kiss her on the cheek, but refraining from doing so because you are afraid you might wake her up…she really looks beautiful in her sleep!

Life is about watering all my plants in the morning and enjoying the beauty of the poinsettas as also the aroma of a leaf from the tulsi plant. It is about my wife slowly creeping up behind me as I stand near the window and holding me tight around the waist as we silently watch the beauty of the morning sky. It is the opportunity to read the newspaper in the morning as also not shaving because it’s the weekend, giving my skin it’s well-deserved and much needed rest. It is about being driven to work and savouring the taste of apples and papaya which comprise my breakfast. It is about enjoying the positive feedback the people at the office give you on the t-shirt and corduroy combination you’ve worn and then me calling up my wife immediately to tell her this because she was the one who asked me to wear the particular combination in the first place!

Life is about walking out of your cabin and bumping into a lady colleague who recently had a miscarriage….and the two of us sitting and talking. It’s about sharing the “Surrender Prayer” with her and her smile staying with you as she leaves the cabin assuring you that she would start saying this prayer today.

Life is about sharing a few laughs with your colleagues at work as also laughing at the ‘nicknames’ your friends have used to describe you on Facebook. It is about logging on to Facebook in the evening and receiving sea gardens, elvish wisdom, roses, pokes, super pokes, growing plants, glitter, hugs and kisses online! It is about the people in the positivism group who have posted new items for discussion, reading the replies to existing posts and about the four new people who want to be added to your friends list.


Life is about reaching home and being greeted by a warm smile and hug from narrating all that happened during the day including how excited our niece Rhea was when she spoke with my wife over the phone as she is going for her first overnight school picnic in a few days (she is only five!!). It is about being invited by mum and dad to spend the weekend at their place and us finalising the menu over the phone. It is about going for a late evening walk with my wife…..

Life is about making an appointment with yourself and enjoying every moment.

Ask yourself this question - Are you alive because you breathe? Or do you breathe mindful of the beauty of each breath and consequently, the ‘life’ you are blessed with?

Enjoy each moment, each breath, each detail. If you are not doing that yet, ‘Subscribe Now!!’

God bless…. ivan rodrigues

5 comments:

Katherine Mikshenas said...

Once again you have deeply blessed my day. I graciously thank you for your beauty, faith and wisdom. May God bless you and your wife one thousand fold for each thought, prayer and gracious act of kindness and compassion you share. God bless you.

Kathy

Ivan Rodrigues said...

I have no words to respond to your heart felt kindness. Andrea and I accept your kind affection and blessings with deep gratitude.

Love,

ivan

Unknown said...

ivan, lovely post.....It really shows how content you feel!! The article in a very beautiful, straighforward way speaks of the the inner joy, peace and fulfillment experienced when one connects with and appreciates God's creation.....spouse, children,family,friends,the flora and fauna. The joy experienced is 'priceless'.

Unknown said...

Ivan, This is really a beautiful post....just amazing. I can very much relate to your feelings, it gives a very cosy feeling to all of us. Continue.....great work.

Ivan Rodrigues said...

Thank you Sushma. I write what I feel and believe in...it's a great outlet for me..

I am sure you know whom I'm referring to in the above article when I talk about the genuine compliments received on the weekend t-shirt corduroy combination :-)

God bless,

ivan