Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Life – Get Your Perspective Right on What’s Left


On Sunday, 26 July, my very good friend called from the U.S. of A. at 9.30 am. It was such a pleasant surprise that it actually set the tone for the day. In fact, he is such a great guy that in one meeting at our home, when he came down to India last year, my wife took to him completely and chat today as though they’ve been friends for years!!

As we got talking, we spoke about our respective lives, friends, work, family and many other issues. Something about work was really bothering me and as a result I was spending less time at home. I was feeling kind of insecure too as something that I desperately wanted was not coming through. I was feeling a little low too and was kinda feeling ‘imperfect’.

My friend patiently heard me out and said, “Ivan, one day, all of us are going to take leave of this life on earth. We commonly refer to it as death. Though I have not met every person who has died, I know one thing for sure - Nobody on their death bed ever said ‘I wish I had spent more time at work’. But I can bet you that a lot of them definitely said ‘I wish I had spent more time with family’. So get your perspective right”.

I agreed…..

He continued, “And as for the sense of imperfection that you are feeling, how can you feel thus if you truly believe that God has created you in his own image? Is God imperfect?”. “No”, I replied. “So trust me you are perfect. It’s just that at most times we tend to create images of ourselves and of situations that may not be perfect or real. You are already approved of and that is why you are here. You are perfect and you are not lacking in anything. If you are lacking in anything it is true of all of us i.e. the ability to dig deep and find the answers that lie within. Again, God made you. God knows that for sure, and you better start accepting that” he concluded.

“Does that make sense”, he asked me. “Of course my friend”, I said with a smile. I followed it up with a sheepish “Thank you”.

I sure needed that to ensure that I got my perspective right on what’s left of my life.

Blessings,

ivan rodrigues

No comments: